Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My Conversation With Success

I had a conversation with success the other day, I must say it was one of the most honest conversations I ever had with anyone.

It was quite the opposite from what you may think a conversation with success may go. “Why do you think you are unsuccessful?” success asked me, I just shrugged my shoulders as an adolescent child getting lectured by his parents would.

He asked me “would I want to be famous?” where everyone knows your name, and fame is like a drug, the high is insane. The famous air that you sniff is the now the same air that makes you twitch for that fix of flashing lights and late nights out, forgetting everyone that ever believed in YOU, before you ever believed in yourself.

“But the wealth is what you want right?” Success asked me, you seem eager to be something you never thought in your wildest dreams you would become. See success in its outcome, the income never pays for the life you left behind. You may want success, but once you get it, what will you do to make lives better?

But Success never stopped Denzel for giving back to the boys and girls of the world, it never stopped, Oprah for being The Santa Claus that happens to wear bras, success shouldn’t stop with you, nor should it end with what you do.

They say Michael Jordan never did shit for the black community…yet It never stops us from buying his shoes that we use to run from cops, jump fences, kick down doors, step on our sisters. $200 dollars never seemed to meaningful in such a brainless act, in fact, the fact is, we never played the game, never practiced…so why blame Mike? Why not Spike…I mean he did direct Do the Right Thing, She’s Gotta have it, He got game. He had sex scenes that would fog any bathroom mirror, shit I seen my set of tits in one of those flicks.

But the point is this, everyone is a critic, everyone depicts and fears the unknown the subjective, we fear the anomaly, but we praise what’s already been done. I replied to Success with a simple question… “When do you know when you have been successful?” Success chuckled with a grin…the answer lies within the question…I looked away for one second…Success…was gone.




No comments:

Post a Comment